What is a Night Safe?
A Night Safe is a service typically used by business clients and other professionals whose business requires the deposit of their business proceeds at the Bank for safety purposes.
The service is very simple to use. Place the banknotes in the appropriate plastic bags (acquired from BOV Branches) and cheques in the cheque deposit envelopes (also provided by the Bank) and deposit them in the Night Safe. The BOV Night Safe is a trap-door located within the façade of a branch which can only be opened with a specific security key provided by the Bank.
The bags and envelopes are typically collected on the next working day. All banknotes and cheques are deposited into your account following reconciliation.
To apply for the BOV Night Safe Service, a BOV Customer needs to
· provide the Bank with an identification document and a completed Night Safe Agreement form which can be obtained from our branches. In case of companies, a board resolution is required.
· ensure that cash deposits do not exceed a daily aggregate of €10,000. BOV Customers, whose deposits exceed this limit, can make use of the Bulk Deposit Service to deposit their business cash and cheques. (Click here for further information about Bulk Deposits.)
· have a valid BOV account into which funds are credited and an active Internet Banking key.
Upon application, the Bank provides you with a Night Safe Key which enables you to use any of the Bank’s Night Safes in Malta (excluding Gozo). In case of Gozo, a key will be provided and can only be used in Gozo. This key is subject to a refundable deposit as per the Bank’s tariff.
How to Use Night Safe Banking
· Prepare your deposit using the BOV Night Safe Deposit Bags and Cheque Deposit Envelopes provided.
· Ensure that the QR Code is placed inside the transparent pocket within your Night Safe Deposit.
· Unlock the Night Safe and open drawer fully.
· Place the bags and envelopes.
· Close the trap door.
· Reopen the Night Safe drawer to ensure that the bags have dropped down into the Safe.
· Close and lock the trap door.
How to prepare Banknote deposits?
· You may collect the Night Safe Bags from your preferred branch at a charge as per the Bank’s tariff.
· Prepare banknotes in packets of 100 pieces per denomination. Loose notes are accepted.
· Log onto your Internet Banking profile and choose ‘Send a banknotes deposit notification’
· Ensure that your Night Safe Deposit does not exceed the aggregate daily cash limit of €10,000.
· After filling out the requested details, you are to print the QR code notification. This notification is to be inserted into the transparent pouch attached to the Night Safe bag. Insert the money, seal, and deliver to the nearest night safe deposit facility.
Only banknote deposits that have the requested QR Code will be accepted. Any deposits that are presented without the requested information will be retained at the Branch and you will be called to collect deposit accordingly.
How to prepare Cheque Deposits
· Place cheques in the cheque deposit envelope using the respective deposit slip.
· Cheque deposits should be presented in batches of not more than 50 cheques per batch. Additional cheques are accepted.
· There is no need to separate BOV cheques from those of other banks.
· Insert the envelope in the nearest night safe deposit facility.
How to prepare Coin deposits
If you have any coins, these are to be handed to a Bank’s cashier. Before doing so you are kindly requested to place coins in specified amounts in their designated bags according to the denomination on the coin bag. These bags can be obtained from our Branches. It is important to note that only FULL Coin Bags as per below are to be handed to the Bank’s cashier:
Coin Bag Denomination
No of Pieces
Night Safe Locations
|Birkirkara - Naxxar Road Branch|
|Qormi Branch |
|San Gwann Branch|
|Santa Venera Branch|
|Valletta - Republic Street Branch|
|Zabbar Branch (temporarily unavailable due to branch refurbishment)|
|Victoria Gozo Branch|